Monday 6 February 2012

Rice battle with daughter

I wonder if any other Chinese mothers have problems with their children eating rice.  My 6 year old daughter is adamant that she does not like rice even though she was weaned and brought up on it.  I cook rice most days of the week and vary the accompanying dishes each time.  Is it a case of rice overkill or is she just being awkward?  We have had many battles about it and her rice portion is tiny in comparison with what her cousins eat.

It does not help matters that her besotted daddy always tells her to "eat what you can, just try it and if you don't like it, it doesn't matter".  Well, my philosophy is, and the way that I was brought up was, that if you don't like it, tough, you're going to have to eat it anyway.  If it was left up to me I would make her eat every last grain even if she cried.  That goes for anything else that she doesn't like either.  "Eat what you're given and be grateful!"

I don't specifically cater for her tastes, I cook what I want to eat and she has to join in.  If I pandered to her every request, we'd be on frankfurters or mashed potato every night.  I am Chinese and I like my rice and I want her to appreciate the same too.  There are a couple of days in the week when I don't cook rice, some days we have pasta or jacket potato but even then she's dead fussy.  The list of things she doesn't like seems to be endless, yet these are the very things that she used to love as a toddler, such as Chinese mushrooms, regular mushrooms, courgettes, prawns, green beans...

Every night she asks what we're going to eat and when I come to the part where I say "rice" she immediately whines about it.  When I say there's no rice she shouts "hooray!".  It is driving me insane and makes me incredibly angry to the point where I just to lock her up in her room and let her starve!!  Of course I have not and would never do that but she needs to start showing a bit of respect and appreciation for all work I do to keep her tummy filled.

End of rant - for now!!

No comments: